Show/Hide

The Jordan-Newby Branch will be closed Saturday, October 28, due to the NSU Homecoming.

­­­The Janaf Branch of Norfolk Public Library opened in 1966. It is named for the shopping center, which is an acronym for “Joint Army, Navy, Air Force.” Janaf, Inc. was formed by retired U. S. Navy officer James Beazley as an investment organization catering to active and retired members of the military. The future site of the shopping center was purchased in 1954, and the first phase of Janaf Shopping Center opened in December 1959.

Learn more about using the Janaf Branch meeting room.

Lost Norfolk: Norfolk’s Lost Architectural Heritage

Bill Inge, Building Historian from the Sargeant Memorial Collection, highlights some of Norfolk’s well-known, and not so well-known, structures that have been lost to history.

(757) 441-5660
Return to full list >>