The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road. It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia. Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.
Click here to read more about
the history of Blyden Branch, and its
namesake, Edward Wilmont Blyden.
- Date: 11/05/2013 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Location: Blyden Branch Library
879 E. Princess Anne Road
Norfolk, Virginia 23504
Contact the branch to register: (757) 441-2852. A Norfolk Public Library card and a PIN are required.
(Customers who don’t live, work or own property in the City of Norfolk will need to pay an annual fee of $35 to access eBooks.)