Show/Hide

All NPL locations will be closed on Monday, January 16, 2017 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

The Van Wyck Branch of Norfolk Public Library opened on May 15, 1916 in a handsome brick building on 15th Street (now Shirley Avenue), across the street from Maury High School. It was Norfolk’s first library branch, built to serve the Ghent neighborhood. The branch was designed by the local architectural firm Ferguson, Calrow and Wrenn, and named to honor Henry Dubois Van Wyck. Upon his death in March 1901, Van Wyck bequeathed $15,000 to the City of Norfolk for the purchase of a lot for a public library. In 1912, six lots were purchased in Ghent, and the library was built with the help of a $20,000 grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

The Van Wyck branch closed for renovation and expansion in late 1988. When it reopened in February 1990, it was double its former size, and the main entrance was relocated to DeBree Avenue, where an ADA-compliant ramp ensures access to all. The addition was designed by Design Collaborative of Virginia Beach.

 

eBook Class

Learn how to browse for and download electronic books onto computers and ereaders. Feel free to bring your own device!

Contact the branch to register: (757) 441-2844. A Norfolk Public Library card and a PIN are required.

(Customers who don’t live, work or own property in the City of Norfolk will need to pay an annual fee of $35 to access eBooks.)


Return to full list >>