The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road. It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia. Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.
Click here to read more about the history
All NPL Locations Closed
- Date: 04/20/2014
- Location: All Library Locations
All NPL locations will be closed Sunday, April 20 in observance of Easter. Online resources are still available.