Show/Hide

The Jordan-Newby Branch will be closed Saturday, October 28, due to the NSU Homecoming.

­­­The Janaf Branch of Norfolk Public Library opened in 1966. It is named for the shopping center, which is an acronym for “Joint Army, Navy, Air Force.” Janaf, Inc. was formed by retired U. S. Navy officer James Beazley as an investment organization catering to active and retired members of the military. The future site of the shopping center was purchased in 1954, and the first phase of Janaf Shopping Center opened in December 1959.

Learn more about using the Janaf Branch meeting room.

Norfolk’s Lost Architectural Heritage

Sargent Memorial Collection (SMC) Class

Redevelopment, fires, and neglect have led to the loss of a large number of architecturally significant buildings in Norfolk. Bill Inge, Building Historian from the Sargeant Memorial Collection, presents a program that highlights some of Norfolk’s well-known and not so well-known structures that have been lost to history. Photographs and postcards from SMC’s extensive collection will illustrate over a century’s worth of losses of our architectural landscape. (Adults)

(757) 441-5660


Return to full list >>