The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road.  It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia.  Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.

Dr_Blyden 

     Click here to read more about

     the history of Blyden Branch, and its

     namesake, Edward Wilmont Blyden.

 

Recorders of History

Recorders of History: Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment - A Women's History Month Event

Recorders of History:
Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment

Blyden Branch Library recognizes the achievements of Anne Boone, Mae Breckenridge and Diana Chappell-Lewis in their efforts to record African-American history through words and the establishment of local African-American historical museums.

(Adult)

(757) 441-2852
Return to full list >>