The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road. It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia. Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.
Click here to read more about the history
Recorders of History
Recorders of History: Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment - A Women's History Month Event
- Date: 03/01/2014 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
- Location: Blyden Branch Library
879 E. Princess Anne Road
Norfolk, Virginia 23504
Recorders of History:
Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment
Blyden Branch Library recognizes the achievements of Anne Boone, Mae Breckenridge and Diana Chappell-Lewis in their efforts to record African-American history through words and the establishment of local African-American historical museums.