The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road.  It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia.  Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.

Dr_Blyden 

     Click here to read more about

     the history of Blyden Branch, and its

     namesake, Edward Wilmont Blyden.

 

African-American History Quiz Bowl

An NPL African-American History Month Event

In a Jeopardy!-style competition, teams of local youth will demonstrate their knowledge of African-American history. Cheer them on as we celebrate our 21st year! (Family)

(Family)

(757) 441-2852
Return to full list >>