The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road.  It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia.  Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.

Dr_Blyden 

     Click here to read more about the history
     of Blyden Branch, and its namesake,
     Edward Wilmont Blyden.

 

Earth Day Stickers

Join us as we celebrate Earth day and make some cool stickers.
Return to full list >>