The Blyden Branch opened July 19, 1921 in a single room of the original Booker T. Washington High School on Princess Anne Road. It provided library service for the city’s approximately 43,000 African American residents, and was the first library for African Americans supported by a municipality in Virginia. Blyden Branch moved to Johnson Avenue and Church Street in 1938 and to its current location at 879 E. Princess Anne Road in 1957.
Click here to read more about the history
- Date: 05/22/2014 10:30 AM - 11:30 PM
- Location: Blyden Branch Library
879 East Princess Anne Rd
Norfolk, Virginia 23504
Storytimes are engaging programs centered on seasonal concepts and themes. Groups of ten or more are asked to please contact the branch in advance. (Preschool & School Age, Ages 3-6)